Thursday night was one of those nights...a kind of night in which you want every moment to last as long as possible. Sitting in a comfortable plush chair in a beautiful theater in downtown Chicago with a great view of the stage is a great beginning to any evening. But when the music begins and the story unfolds, time seems to stand still and it is easy to be transported. Tears come to my eyes thinking about the amazing voices and stirring music that filled my ears for almost three hours. However, the real gift of the evening has been thinking about the real message of Wicked. To me, that message was...who do you want to be? Do you want to be real or do you want to hide behind a curtain? Do you want to fight for what truly matters or do you want to believe the spin? Of course, this interpretation could be a function of where I am right now in my life and the questions I have been asking myself, but having a change of scenery and getting off the hamster wheel of my busy life--even for just 24 hours--made me realize how it was time to regroup, ask the hard questions, and forge on to the next part of my life's journey.
Thankfully, I have started this next leg of the journey with an emotionally-fulfilling experience. I was able to spend the day with two of my sons today. We truly were "in the moment" and I truly enjoyed each and every moment with them. Even when this meant dealing with an emotionally volatile situation which I had to facilitate between one of my sons and my father (their grandfather). I feel good because I was there for both of them (although my son took priority in the situation) and my sons can see that I will stand up for them, they can trust me, and that we can work through this difficult learning experiences of life together.
Being real is hard work but the rewards are too sweet too pass up.
1 comment:
Emotionally volatile situation? Sounds like potentially juicy family gossip, why hasn't anyone filled me in?
Post a Comment