Read Dinner and a Mormon:
http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/070413dinner.html
This is a well-written call to arms for LDS members to reach outside of their comfort zone and open up to the world around them. The only concern I have is with the last paragraph in which the assertion appears to be that these efforts will improve public opinion or possibly lead to missionary opportunities. To me, that is not the point. I have covenanted to Love My Neighbor As Myself. All that is truly important is that I am following Christ's example and striving to be charitable in all I think, say, and do. Mormons, like all people, simply need to follow the Golden Rule and not worry about the outcome.
2 comments:
I really appreciate your thinking through my argument.
Probably best to respond in three parts.
1) I absolutely agree that as Christians, we want to go about doing good as Jesus would do, simply because it is the right thing to do. But for so many of us, including myself, this is somewhat abstract, and perhaps more importantly, makes it difficult to get to a point emotionally where we are willing to take action.
2) Which brings me to my second point -- reaching out for the good of the church, or public affairs. While for the last few years, having good relationships with our communities has been important insofar as our church has tried to obtain permits to build chapels, and especially temples, with a Mormon now making a bid for the White House, our faith, and we, as a people, are being scrutinized. With this scrutiny, and lots of power at stake, hurtful things are being said. My hope is that as we look at this hurt we are feeling (and could feel so long as Romney runs), will push us to revisit when and where we ourselves have unfairly perpetuated misunderstanding.
3) Missionary work -- because so many of the people that will read about Know Your Neighbor (or even Dinner and a Mormon) are accustomed to thinking about the world in quantitative terms; and because missionary work is far more institutionalized, I am trying to help people see how KYN can fit within the institutional framework we already have.
Bottom line -- I agree with your core premise, just trying to meet people where they live.
Look forward to your poking and prodding some more.
My best,
Whitney
Love your comment here. Feel the same way about it myself. :)
Post a Comment