Explore faith, single-motherhood, cultural diversity, and political musings along with me as I share random thoughts from my life's journey. I would love to hear about your road less travelled.
Monday, April 30, 2007
Check www.pbs.org for your local listings
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of America's fastest growing religions, and its influence circles the globe. The church has 12 million members today and over half of them live outside the U.S. Yet the birth of Mormonism and its history is one of America's great neglected narratives. This four-hour documentary brings together FRONTLINE and AMERICAN EXPERIENCE in their first co-production to provide a searching portrait of this fascinating but often misunderstood religion. Produced by award-winning filmmaker Helen Whitney ("Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero," "John Paul II: The Millennial Pope"), the film will explore the richness, the complexities, and the controversies of the Mormons' story as told through interviews with leaders and members of the church, with leading writers and historians, and with supporters and critics of the Mormon faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So, whaddya think?
The discussion forum at PBS is kinda interesting to check out (more like a "Letters to the Editor" than a "forum")
http://www.pbs.org/mormons/talk/
A real gem I found there:
While educational, it's not balanced. There are more negative and unbelieving opinions of the history of the church than there are positive and believing opinions. Regardless of the truth or untruth of the history, fairness should be applied.
--SLC, UT
If you ever needed any evidence that FOX is a psy op conducted by shadowy forces bent on America's destruction, there it is.
Hmmm....I would say that this program is a "historical" piece and so far has been presented in a very balanced manner. The purpose, in my opinion, of this program is not to give "equal" air time to different sides of a story....it is to present the complexity and the messiness of history and human nature as played out in a new religion. I would be curious as to what the author means by "fairness"? Interesting....
Yup, that's what I was thinking, too. Oh well, at least it was worth a chuckle. You find these types everywhere. I remember my summer in SF, I canvassed for $$ with an environmental action group and figured out quick that "negative" is a real popular word among folks who don't like to spend much time on opposing views.
From the reviews I've seen so far, it sounds like it's probably as good as it gets for an outside production.
By the way, I really like this blog
I think I had a chat with one of the Tillemann-Dick kids (the Colorado Mormon family in the documentary) on a shuttle bus at Newark. He was on his way back from Taiwan and mentioned being from a very large Denver Mormon family, seem to remember his name was Levi.
Post a Comment