I have started my summer-fall-winter-spring reading list, which includes the following titles:
Rough Stone Rolling by Dr. Richard Bushman
The Story of A New Religious Tradition by Jan Shipps
Mormon Sisters: Women in Early Utah by Claudia Bushman
The Mormon Experience: A History of the Latter day Saints by Arrington
The Angel and Beehive: THE MORMON STRUGGLE WITH ASSIMILATION
Mormonism in Transition: A History of the Latter-day Saints, 1890-1930
David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism
and as I have begun to tackle (and thoroughly enjoy) the material, I have realized that this process mirrors other changes I have been making in my life. I want to live by study and by faith, not fear or unintentional habit. I want to study and learn all that I can so I know WHY I believe what I "believe"...not just live it because it was engrained in me as a child. I want to go after my dreams and make them a reality. I want to take the leap in many ways....in my career, in my physical health, in my financial life. These leaps will start out as "baby steps", but they are important "baby leaps" nonetheless.
I will share my thoughts as I continue to read, continue to exercise, and most importantly, continue to take those "baby steps".
My first thought is this: Joseph Smith was a man. He wasn't perfect. He experienced and accomplished extraordinary things (whether you believe in his role as modern-day prophet or not). I am enjoying getting to know more about his personality--his strengths and his weaknesses. More soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment